Join the San Diego LGBTQ Health & Wellness Referral Network
LGBTQ persons have a long-standing history of experiences with bias, oppression and discrimination. These experiences have also permeated the healthcare system resulting in treatment seeking avoidance and, delays or inadequate care that contributes to health disparities. A culturally competent healthcare provider/system understands the special health care needs of the LGBTQ community and therefore contributes to an improvement in health and well-being. The SDEBA has formed the San Diego LGBTQ Health & Wellness Referral Network (HWRN) as a resource to the LGBTQ community looking for providers who can provide a safe, culturally competent and inclusive environment to optimize their health and well-being.
Benefits of Becoming HWRN Certified
-Increased credibility with the LGBTQ health and wellness consumer.
2. Three 1 hour on-demand webinars. Available at www.lgbthealtheducation.org. Access under 'Learning Modules' You will need to register to access the complete Learning Module content.
a. Achieving Health Equity for LGBTQ People*
b. Improving Health Care for Transgender People
c. Caring for LGBTQ Older Adults
*If you are in a group practice with office staff, your office staff members will be required to take the one hour training on “Achieving Health Equity for LGBT People' (Above)
3. Video: “To Treat Me, You Have to Know Who I Am”
(See Video lower right.)
4. Successfully pass the LGBTQ Cultural Competency Exam (80%)
5. Patient/client non-discrimination policy (includes sexual orientation & gender identity or expression) posted or handed out to patients/clients.
Sample Patient/Client Non-Discrimination Policy Language:
'I,________________ do not discriminate based on age, race, ethnicity, religion, culture, language, physical or mental disability, socioeconomic status, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.'
6. Inclusive language on forms (required)
a. How would you like to be addressed? (Name)
b. What is your gender?
c. Relationship Status (must include: single, partnered, married, divorced, widowed, other)
7. Current license/certification (consistent with professional requirements)
8. No current actions against license/certification
Click HERE to Download PDF of Inclusion Criteria
Complete all 3 online trainings at www.lgbthealtheducation.org (See inclusion criteria for details).
* If you are a provider in a group practice, the front office staff will need to complete the training “Achieving Health Equity for LGBT People” to meet the training requirements.
Email a copy of the certificates of completion to email@example.com.
View the video “To Treat Me, You Have to Know Who I Am.”
Once above are completed, take the Competency Exam. (See Below)
After successful completion of the competency exam (80%), you will receive a certificate of completion, an HWRN window sticker, HWRN logo for marketing, and an HWRN emblem next to your directory listing.
Please contact us at any time for questions about becoming an HWRN Certified Health & Wellness Provider at firstname.lastname@example.org.